Friday, January 4, 2013

The Muffler



衿元に
友のぬくもり
大晦日

Erimoto ni  (around my neck)
Tomo no nukumori (my friend's warmth)
Omisoka (New Year's Eve)

A couple of days before Christmas, my childhood girlfriend asked if I had received a package.  My answer was no.  But the package arrived on New Year's Eve, containing a beautiful COACH cashmere muffler.  She got a salmon pink pattern for me and a matching gray pattern for herself.  She was sad that the gift meant for Christmas didn't arrive in time, but it was a perfect present to welcome the New Year.  

I touched the soft mass, put it against my cheek, and remembered one by one--the mufflers, scarves, and wraps that she sent over the years and how perfectly she was able to arrange some around my neck when she visited me here or when I traveled to Japan--and how she made me feel.     

One woven wrap in particular was in petal pink made of baby cashmere--so soft, subtle, and delicate in both texture and color.  It arrived one spring.  As I stood in front of the mirror and arranged the wrap around my shoulders, I longed to see her, my family, and the cherry blossoms in Japan.

Almost eight years since then, and I welcomed a beautiful New Year.  I am so grateful. 

ありがとう、妙ちゃん。

No comments: